My Presentation

Transcendental Awesumitude by dospaz at Flickr.com

What makes a great presentation? Why are some presenters more engaging than others? We will begin to explore these questions with this project. Below you will find the steps and examples each component of the project. Your blog post should have each of these sections with the required images or links and text. Be sure to check your spelling and grammar!

Creating and Formatting The Blog Post Overview Video

Step 1 – Summary of Project

This project is a slide show I created to show my ability to create a presentation. I learned that just because you have a lot of text on the page doesn’t mean it will captivate your audience, and sometimes just having small words and more images can be more entertaining and interesting for a viewer. I learned from creating this presentation that its important to create a story board or some type of plan for your slide show before you start instead of just jumping right into it, because when you plan ahead you can create a better product and use your time more productively.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

Before you start a presentation Identify your core message/main idea of your presentation and clear your mind. Make sure that you don’t prepare with computer. Getting away from technology gives you the freedom to focus and identify whats important which in turn will help you make a good presentation. Ask your self why your presentation matters, identify whats important and whats not. When creating your presentation think about the simplicity, unexpectedness, concreteness, credibility of your slides, and the emotions they give your viewer this is called the stick theory

Whenever your creating a presentation the first thing you should do before you start actually making it on a computer is create a story board. Story boards are used to plan out a presentation and are used to tell yourself what you want on each slide. After you make your story board you can just look at it and see exactly what you need to put on each slide making it so that you don’t have to spend a much time deciding what to put on each slide because you’ve already planed it out.

Whenever you want to use images in your presentation make sure that they are not copyrighted and are labeled for re-use and modification because if you don’t it can be considered copyright infringement. A good place to look for non-copyrighted images is the Creative Commons because they help you to find images that are not copyrighted and free to use.

A good presentation is a presentation that captivates the audience and keeps people interested throughout the entire thing. We want to be good presenters because good presenters are able to explain their ideas to people which can help you succeed, and it teaches you skills you might need for a job or something later on in your life.

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Brainwriting and brainstorming are two things that you can do before you create something such as a presentation or an essay. We brainstorm before we start something because it always us to put all our ideas on paper to look at what we have to work with instead of just starting and not knowing what to include in your presentation. We brain storm on paper because its less distracting than a computer and it allows you to easily go back and add/change your ideas later on in the process

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Story Boarding is when you write down what you want to include on each slide of your presentation so that you can get an idea of what is going on each slide.  We use story boarding to make it so that you can create your presentation more efficiently and know exactly what you need on each slide, and doing a story board on paper removes the distraction of a computer so that you can focus only on what you want on each slide.

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

Copyright is when a certain person has the rights to an image or something else that they created, making it illegal for someone else to use their work without the owners permission. Creative Commons is a website where you can find things such as images that are free for people to re-use, share, or edit without having to worry about copyright infringement as long as you cite to original creator. I used Creative Commons for this presentation so that I could use images that were taken by other people in my slide show without having to ask their permission first since they are available for anyone to use or build upon. Citing your image or media sources is important because whenever you use something that you did not make you always need to give the original creator credit for their work. Also if you don’t cite your sources you could get into legal trouble for not citing sources because you are taking credit for someone else’s work.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

master slide

The master slide is the slide that determines the format for all of the slides in your presentation so that you can have the format you want automatically, instead of having to change it for each slide. I used it to format my presentation to make each slide have to same format and look the same so that it doesn’t look just thrown together and looks more seamless.

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

What I was doing by placing all the text first, then the image is I was making it so that instead of having to spend time finding a picture later I could just look a the slide and know exactly what I need to put as the image in each slide. This is helpful because you can save the time you would have been wasting figuring out what image you need to put on each slide because the text tells you what you need to put there, and you can use the time you saved to make a better quality presentation and make sure it flows well.

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

My Presentation

To share my presentation I used slideshare.com which is a website that you can use to upload slideshows and presentation for other people to view. I used this processes to share my presentation because since it is online that means anyone that wants to see it can view it without having any special program such as powerpoint. Posting my presentation online also allows more people to be able to see it since it’s online not just on my computer, the fact that its online is also helpful because I also can access it from any device with internet.

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

How I prepared for my presentation was I went through it many times so that I would remember what was on each slide, and what I was going to say. I also showed it to my parents and my friend in the class to see how they liked it. I did this because it helped me remember the content in my slideshow better without having to look at it all the time since I had practiced.

Step 10 – What I Learned

From creating this presentation I learned that its better to have good visuals that engage your audience then to have lots of words on a slide with pictures because its hard for people to look at both at the same time. I also learned that its important to make a story board and brain storm before you start to create your presentation because it makes it easier to put it together once you have it done. I think that after completing this presentation my skills at presentation making have improved since now I know how to create a more entertaining slide show.